Skip to content

Disney Channel Star Demi Lovato Shares Swimsuit Photo and Feels "So Grateful"

This is what makes her happy.

Singer and actress Demi Lovato is ecstatic after having an amazing summer. The Sonny with a Chance star, 31, updated her Instagram to let fans know how happy she was via a special picture of herself posing in a black one-piece swimsuit in her pool, plus another snap of her smiling in the water. "This summer has been *chefs kiss* 🤌🏼 Feeling so grateful and happy 🥰 PS. Only 6k more album inserts to sign," she captioned the post. "Prettiest cutest human alive," commented Royal & the Serpent. Here are some of the things that make Lovato so happy.


Working Out

For Lovato, working out is something that makes her feel better both mentally and physically. "My routine is different on the road than when at home: performing and traveling means I have to fit in a workout whenever I can find the time – late-night cardio sessions are not unheard of," she says. "I exercise six days a week with a day of rest. It sounds like a lot, but it really helps my mood – I feel great when I work out. One element of my regime is doing cardio five times a week: alternating running and brisk walks at an incline on the treadmill and spinning."


Oatmeal For Breakfast


Lovato's typical breakfast is oatmeal and an egg white pancake with applesauce and fruit. "Some people just don't like the taste of egg yolks," says Kylie Arrindell, wellness dietitian at Houston Methodist. "The protein found in eggs — both whole eggs and egg whites — is really high quality protein, containing all of the essential amino acids we need. About 40% of this protein is found in the egg yolk, and the other 60% is in the egg whites."


Strength Training and Cardio

Lovato's workouts are a mix of strength training and cardio. "For my six-weekly training sessions I focus on lengthening and toning for the bottom half of my body: lots of squats and lunge variations to keep my glutes and hips strong and toned," she says. "I keep my core strong with planks, crunches, push-ups, lying glute push-ups and bridges to strengthen my body and prevent injury when I'm on stage… I like to kick it up on higher intensity days by incorporating light dumbbells, bands, exercise balls and ankle weights into my usual routine."


Protein and Healthy Carbs


Lovato's typical lunch and dinner are some version of protein and vegetables with a complex carbohydrate—for example she loves turkey meatballs with kale salad and sweet potato. "Potatoes and sweet potatoes are a diet staple around the world," says Beth Czerwony, RD, LD. "And aside from being healthy, they're inexpensive and versatile in meals."


Active Recovery

Lovato stays active even on her days off. "I don't rest on my laurels on my day off," she says. "I really look forward to active recovery like yoga or just walking. It keeps me focused on where I want to be with my body. Functional training is key for my body. My shows are really energetic so I try to train my body for the dancing and physical element of my performances – it's tougher than it looks!


Ferozan Mast
Ferozan Mast is a science, health and wellness writer with a passion for making science and research-backed information accessible to a general audience. Read more
Filed Under